Saturday, July 10, 2010

Amazing Grace - Wintley Phipps

Understanding Our Stories Through Song
My Aunt Ollie could sing with the same vibrancy of Mahalia Jackson. She was also a storyteller. I wish I could sing as well as she, but I can tell a story. I also know a good story when I hear one. A good story changes you. Slightly. Vastly. Sometimes and often times irrevocably. The best stories are like that. It makes you see another in a light that not only helps you undestand, but know. What do I know? I mean, what do I know after a good story? I know that there is goodness and that we are all capable of it. I know that life is good even going across its rocky terrain. Ups and downs. Storms and Sun. Life is good! and so are people.
     I was blind. But, now I see.
     That's what a good story does for you.
     'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace, my fear released.
     I have had so many ups and downs this past six years, I have felt like surrendering. The only reason I haven't surrendered it is that I haven't been sure what I'd be surrendering or surrendering to. I know that I am called to a life of storytelling. I also know that there is no job description for what I do and what I am called to do, but I do know that I can't NOT do it.
     In this video, Wintley Phipps talks about the genesis of the song Amazing Grace. Everyone I have had a chance to show this video are moved by Phipp's storytelling. Most of these individuals know the song Amazing Grace and most love it. The interesting factor about this song and this story is that it doesn't matter what the faith of the individual I share this story with. They all resonate with the story, its meaning and my connection to it. They feel ... They know ...
     Slightly. Vastly. This story creates an irrevocable change. In the person. It changes me a little more each time I share it with others, too. Why does it change me--yet again and again? I think, no I know ... it is because this story is one in which once two people share it, they know more about each other than they knew before. It is a story that lends itself to intimacy.
     So, if you watched the video before you have had an opportunity to read what I've written, it would be interesting to know what you think. If you have read first and then watched the video, what do you know about me now? Either way, I'd like to know what this story does for you. Call it an experiement. Humor me. Share with me.
     Peace.

No comments: