Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Value of a T-Shirt

Remembering Why I Wore It
I was cleaning out my closets and drawers and found my Obama t-shirts. I have a few of them. They are collector's items for me, a time of remembrance and joy. It is said that a picture is worth a “thousand words” and this sentiment was properly invoked during the last presidential election. No matter what side of the fence you were on in that election, buttons and t-shirts were the stars of Obama's campaign as never before in history. And—truth be told—Obama t-shirts were the hottest items of the day. During those last 24-months of that campaign, t-shirts held sway over the sentiments of those who supported Obama and even those who didn’t. T-Shirts with slogans like “Obama Mama” and “Barack and Roll” were just a few that caught my eye, especially on November 4 where if you didn’t have an Obama t-shirt on, you at least had a button or two. I, myself, wore my t-shirt that said “Think Peace” because for me, voting for Barack was my way of looking at a new day that ushers in peace. I was literally “Thinking Peace!”
     As an aside, however, I will add that peace is not the absence of conflict, but how you conduct yourself in the midst of that conflict. Obama represented for me the “way” in solving conflicts. It was this challenge that encouraged people to literally wear their thoughts on their sleeves (or chest, if you will). But, what does it mean to wear the statement of Obama on your head or body? The feeling from those I interviewed was that it was a statement that was beyond words, but that wearing it was also a commitment, a firm one at that.
     This commitment was in many forms. It was a commitment to participate in a process that far too many have been apathetic about or worse, resigned that it would never be different. It was a commitment that included young people and people of diverse religions, ethnicities, social class, just to name a few. It was a commitment to stand for something and not fall for anything—anymore.
     I asked many questions that night. What do you want to see happen first in an Obama presidency? What makes Obama different from the other candidates? What are some of the hurdles he has to overcome? Can he really make a difference? What I’ve found is that young people are not gullible. They are looking at the issues, especially those that concern them. They are paying attention and they are a force be reckoned with.
     Still, gullibility is not an issue. Obama being elected was not about our gullibility, but of faith and hope. Not faith as in blind and not hope as in a great wish. Yes, it was about change, definitely, only we know that electing a black man doesn't change anything. Ask any black person about affirmative action. Having one black person in a multitude of whites doesn't change the landscape and for that we, with faith and hope as our anchor, must now add hard work and commitment to the change we seek.
     Anyway, looking at my t-shirts and remembering November 4, 2008, it got me to thinking. What is the value of a t-shirt? I mean, the t-shirts are worn--but not so worn. Big, but the better to see, my dear. The value of the t-shirt? History. Absolutely. So, I put my t-shirts back, folded neatly and tucked away safely. I'll give it a little more time as to what history tells us, however. I believe that history will tell us whether change came after all.
     Peace.

No comments: